Friday, September 30, 2016

Inaction

Whoop, Whoop, it's Friday! In the fitness world it's #flexfriday, so today, let's FLEX our spiritual muscles and dig into today's readings. Be sure to READ and/or LISTEN to God's Word!

In our Gospel, Jesus is comparing many of the cities He had preached in. He is condemning Chorazin and Bethsaida because they are suppose to be the ones that listen to God, yet the pagan cities actually listened and repented when Jesus told them to.

When it comes to our faith, it is not enough to listen and believe what we hear if we don't allow it to change and transform us. Inaction is as big a sin as not listening and believing what we hear.

Prior to the Mass as our Penitential Act we recite the Confiteor:

I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters, 
that I have greatly sinned,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and in what I have failed to do,
(and striking our breast)
through my fault, through my fault, 
through my most grievous fault;
(then continue)
therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints, 
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

What stands out to me here is that we are asking forgiveness for not just the acts we commit that are sinful, but the things we are failing to do as well. When we are not doing the will of God, when we are not doing the things he commands us, it is just as bad as doing wrongful acts. 

I was also struck the first time I recited this that we are not just being judged by our words, but our thoughts as well. 

In our Gospel, Jesus is warning that repentance is important. Seeing, hearing and believing is not enough if nothing is done with it! When we don't act on what Jesus tells us to do it is as though we reject Him. When we reject Him, we reject God! 

Have you actually repented. Are you not only acknowledging your sins but actually doing something about them? Are you allowing God to transform you from the inside out?


No comments:

Post a Comment