Monday, August 1, 2016

Who are you kidding?

Today's Readings come from Jeremiah 28:1-17; Psalm 119:29, 43, 79, 80, 95, 102; and Matthew 14:13-21. READ or LISTEN to them today.

It feels extra fitting for me that today's Gospel talks about Jesus multiplying the loaves and fishes to serve over 5,000 people. 

Today I am beginning a new group that includes a fitness program and workout plan along with the book Made to Crave. I am someone who has spent too much time running away from emotions and instead of dealing with them and going to Jesus, I have run to food or alcohol. 

Instead of turning to God to heal my broken places and to satisfy all my needs and desires, I look to things that leave me feeling empty. Instead of going to God to fill the me completely I fall into the trap of lies and deceit of the world.

There were over 5,000 tired and hungry people in a deserted place where there were no provisions for the night. The story only shares that this was a concern of the disciples, not of the people and not of Jesus. The people hungered for Jesus and what he had to share with them. 

It pains me to admit that there have been far too many times that I have found myself looking to temporary gratification than waiting on the good God has for me.

He is all we need! When we look to him and rely on him, he will provide and take care of us. 

These next 28 days I am following a strict nutrition plan and working to eliminate some bad nutritional habits as well as alcohol. When I am tempted by food that is not on plan, or when my emotions try to get the better of me, I need to remember to lean in on Jesus. I need to remember that He is all I need. He is the only thing that can fill the empty spaces in my heart. No amount of food or alcohol could ever do that! 

In our first reading we see Hananiah and Jeremiah handle things very differently. Hananiah instills false confidence in the people by making up a false prophesy. It is one thing to try to build people up, but it is another to make up lies and say they are from God. Jeremiah on the other hand, speaks truth and the Word of God. Jeremiah was honest with the people and therefore, the people were able to prepare and be ready for the challenges to come. 

When I am weak and struggling, food and alcohol have given me very false confidence. I allow myself to think they will make things better, but they don't. The truth is that life is challenging and difficult, but I am not ever alone! If I prepare myself and know the truth going into any difficulty, and if I lean on and rely on God, He WILL sustain me and provide for all of my needs. Please note that I say needs and not wants!

As you go forward today, are there lies you are believing that are giving you false confidence and leading you farther away from God? Is it time to face the truth in a situation or even just with yourself so that you can face the struggle head on? 

As we begin a new week and a new month, look to the God of Truth! Seek His face in all things and rely on His strength, not your own.


No comments:

Post a Comment